Thursday, January 1, 2015
[Slideshow "number2" not found]
Since 2002. Anonymous Letters to the Editor with pictures. Published Monday through Friday by Noon.
|Contact Us. Click this link to post any opinion, ad, changes to an ad, complaint, kudos, or anything else. One link fits all. We read them all. Contact Us|
Happy 15th anniversary to my wife Lee Ann! And they said it wouldn’t last. Now “they” are all divorced and on their 2nd or 3rd marriages.
|When a grinder pump clogs and backups from a children’s toy being flushed down the toilet, will FKAA pay for the repair and cleanup? Who is responsible?|
|A very valuable SCORE discussion: “5 Simple Marketing ideas you may have overlooked that will make your business a stand out success!” Wednesday, January 14 at 5:30 in the Chamber of Commerce lobby. If you own a business or are considering owning a business in the Keys, please join us for a lively conversation about marketing. Novice or expert, you will walk away with a fresh perspective and a few ideas. We will discuss traditional marketing, as well as social media and internet marketing. What is the best approach for you and your business? What do you do now and does it work? If you have experiences, good or bad, bring them to discuss. This will be a working seminar so bring a notebook and be ready to participate. This is free and open to the public. Events|
Unfortunate publishing layouts of our time. Link
|[Evicted] Christmas was not so merry for about 50 Big Pine Key residents, as they have been given a two-month eviction notice. The residents of the Seahorse RV Park learned this week that they have to find a new place to park their homes on wheels. The new park owners plan to transfer the development rights for the transient units known as ROGOs or Rate of Growth Ordinance allocations from the park to a hotel proposed at Stock Island Marina Village on Safe Harbor. Seahorse is an RV park, not a trailer park. It should have never gotten to the point where RVs were allowed to be used as permanent housing there.|
|[Highway System] Odd numbered highways go north-south, even numbered highways go east-west. Lower numbered highways are in the south and west. Higher numbered highways are in the east and west.|
Cretan Date Palm. 7-foot tall in large pot, when mature produces edible fruit—just found hiding behind other plants. Located at LTK. $45. Classified Ads > Miscellaneous
|[“The Moose behind times”] They don’t seem to realize that their membership will increase if they stop smoking indoors. Or don’t they care? They have a very fine tiki bar that smokers could use. Or is the Moose just a hangout for drunks and smokers? It looks as though smokers are running the place and to hell with others.|
|Local man died while spearfishing Tuesday, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. Robert Carney, a 50-year-old Summerland Key man, was on a 32-foot Contender on a dive trip with five others in the Dry Tortugas on their first dive of the day in 72-feet of water when he died. He was see laying on the bottom by another diver.|
|[Drones] The Florida Keys Mosquito Control District plans to put two drones in the air starting next month, as a way to search for standing water in remote spots.|
|Hank Garland – Baby Guitar. Recorded 27th March 1957 ay the Bradley Film & Recording Studio, 804 16th Ave. South, Nashville 3, Tennessee.|
|[Political Pandering] Can anyone answer this question for me? Why is it that when Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, The Diaz- Balart brothers & Marco Rubio are being interviewed by Telemundo or Univision, they always portray themselves as the Cuban freedom fighters, and brainwash all non-English speaking Hispanics in Miami that they must vote Republican because Obama and all other Democrats are Communist traitors of the people? Yet when they’re being interviewed by the English speaking news networks, they don’t mention one hint of what they spew to the Spanish speaking networks?I know several Central American legal immigrants who have made appointments to see these political figures for some kind of petition or help, and they all have returned from their office disappointed in which they were told, “There’s nothing we could do for you’! I also know of many Cuban immigrants who have gone to these politicians to resolve some immigration problems, and again the response was “There’s nothing we could for you”! From what I gather, they’re using the same tactics that Fidel Castro has been using, and are jealous that he’s doing it to a larger population? Or! If you don’t have money, don’t bother us? Which is it?|
|[Socialist Cuba] That is wrongly named. The Castro brothers have executed over 16,000 dissidents. When Socialism eventually fails, the leaders bring out firearms, and call their government Communist.|
[“Junk car on Budd Key”] It looks like a 70’s Mercury or a Lincoln.
|FTR might wonder about Al Sharpton‘s relationship with President Obama, because Al Sharpton is listed as a visitor to the White House over 80 times.|
|[Truth] Some mathematician has said that enjoyment lies in the search for truth, not in the finding it.|
Since his desperately early death in May 1997, there’s been an inevitable mythologizing about the life and music of Jeff Buckley. Audio
|I don’t recall publishing ‘USA is a democracy‘, unless it was tongue in cheek. American elected officials and politicians and other liars and deludes tout democracy the way Key West City officials and other politicians and liars and deludes tout one human family. Propaganda is another word for it — democracy, one human family — when they touted in America and Key West.I can’t imagine how pure democracy could be more scary than what America has now, which looks to me like it’s headed toward Police State and ethnic cleansing, although there also might be reverse ethnic cleansing and lots less white folks, too, after it’s all said and done, hopefully, I’m not still here to enjoy it.|
|The Moose in Big Pine is more of a fraternal order of smokers and drinkers.|
|[CT Sucks] I have read a lot of idiotic and insane posts on this blog, but Wednesday’s edition had to be the worst. If this is any indication of the degraded mentality of the Keys people, someone should call somebody to get us help!|
|[Bad Cops] Few weeks ago at Higgs beach there was a foot race that ended at Higgs Beach. A friend with whom I was talking was signaled to come to the table where the girl was packing up half bananas and Gatorade and offered him some food and drink. He only took a banana and was followed by a sheriffs deputy and the deputy got nose to nose with the recipient of the banana and the deputy told him, “You will repeat after me, I will not take any bananas from the girl giving them away. The food is for the racers only.” In fear of this maniac, my friend Hank repeated what he was told to recite. Then the deputy got in his car and was leaving with his eyes on me so I walked up to the table of food and didn’t say a word and the girl handed me a banana and went to her trunk and got me a Gatorade. The deputy saw this and slammed on his brakes thinking I would put the banana back, but I peeled it while he stared at me and I just stared right back at him until he drove off.
This is another story of how your tax dollars are being spent and the deputy for trying to quell a young lady from handing out treats that were to be thrown out because the event was over 45 minutes earlier than expected.
|[“The Moose behind times“] If you don’t like to go into places that allow smoking then don’t go inside, go someplace else. Who are you to tell other citizens what to do?|
|[Totalitarian] New rule: if you are going to use the words Socialist or Communist, you must be able to define them.|
|The Man Dance by Face Vocal Band|
|Cubans may be poor but at least they don’t have liberty.|
|[Bad Cops] Thanks to people like you[?] who are not afraid to stand up to the Gestapo tactics of our police dept. They think they can manhandle a tourist, use excessive force, shove his face into soft sand obstructing his breathing, hog tying him to further impede his breathing then walk away self righteously denying any wrongdoing after he suffocates to death. Thank god for people like the poster who at least had the balls to protest against police brutality.
It’s an outrage no one was fired or brought under charges, as the action has been proven time and again to be without merit, unnecessary and actually against orders.
What a sad state of affairs for the KWPD. What poor leadership. What goes around comes around, albeit in different forms. Go raise your families, sit at your dinner table and tell your children how you beat a guy senseless for passing in a left turn lane. Happy New Year Officer Lovette, et al.
|Because Mr. FTR is to nice to say this, I will…Lets start the New Year RIGHT ! Is every liberal an immoral, nasty tempered, habitual liar who accuses people of racism for fun and trashes his own country because he thinks it makes him look sophisticated? Of course, not! On the other hand, is that a fairly accurate description of most liberals in politics? Yes, it is. Most of them aren’t evil per se, but as Margaret Thatcher said,
“Left-wing zealots have often been prepared to ride roughshod over due process and basic considerations of fairness when they think they can get away with it. For them the ends always seems to justify the means. That is precisely how their predecessors came to create the gulag.”
Liberals view themselves as good people because they’re liberals. People who are outside of that ugly little bit of circular reasoning don’t have such a benign view of their horrible behavior. So, what reason could you have to dislike liberals?
25 Reasons To Dislike Liberals
1) Only liberals would be cruel enough to pick on kids running lemonade stands with a permit, children putting on Christmas plays at school and the Boy Scouts.
2) Because the closest thing to Sodom and Gomorrah in the modern world is San Francisco and Berkeley.
3) Whether you’re talking about cop killers, terrorists, radical Islamists or dictators, all you have to do is say, “I hate America,” and liberals start to sympathize with you.
4) Liberals are actually bothered by people who do love America. On the rare occasion when you do see a liberal waving a flag, look for a camera.
5) The same people who voted Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama into office think they’re smarter than tradition, the Founding Fathers and God Himself.
6) Liberals might not want to admit it, but the world would have been a better place if Mary Jo Kopechne had crawled up out of that car instead of Ted Kennedy.
7) Only an ass could like Bill Maher, Alan Grayson or Sheila Jackson Lee.
8) Liberals believe in taking money from people who earn it, handing it out as bribes in order to get more power and then using that power to hurt the people that are giving them money.
9) The same liberal who’ll laugh at a rape joke about Sarah Palin and then attack Michele Bachmann’s family will then turn around and accuse someone else of being sexist for respectfully noting that a woman is attractive.
10) Liberals view hooking people on welfare and food stamps as a core part of their election strategy, which is terrible for the country, shows they have no character and requires more than a little hatred for poor people.
11) The dumbest, most close-minded and mean spirited people in all of politics are inevitably liberals who are convinced they’re brilliant, open-minded and compassionate because they call themselves liberals.
12) A policy that makes liberals feel superior and caring that doesn’t work and wastes billions is considered a smashing success because they genuinely DON’T CARE WHETHER THEIR POLICIES ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE OR NOT.
13) The same liberal who pretends to be angry about Susan Smith or Casey Anthony will then turn around and give the thumbs up to women who do the same thing to their children via abortion.
14) There’s a reason why the average homeschooled kid gets a better education than he would in a public school run by liberals. It’s because the kid’s parents are interested in educating him while his liberal teachers view public schools as just another way to indoctrinate children.
15) Noam Chomsky is an America-hating creep and to think of him as some kind of genius, you have to both despise our country enough to suspend your disbelief and be largely ignorant of world history.
16) Anyone whose first reaction after a terrorist attack is, “Why do they hate us?” is just an intolerable douche.
17) Liberals talk up Hillary Clinton as the most prominent and important female politician in America; yet her entire political career is based on the fact that she married Bill Clinton. That’s actually kind of pathetic.
18) Liberals have been big supporters of slavery, Indian massacres, the KKK, eugenics, fascism, communism and Jim Crow laws. Then, down the road, after liberals finally join everyone else, they try to claim that conservatives still support all the practices that we fought liberals on from the beginning.
19) Liberals think black Americans are inferior to whites, which is why the worst, most crime-ridden places to live in America are inevitably run by liberals. That’s acceptable to liberals because they don’t think black Americans deserve any better.
20) A liberal is more likely to support a man who murders a cop like Mumia Abu Jamal than cops who want to regularly patrol a bad neighborhood in force to keep the criminals from terrorizing the innocent people who live there.
21) The average middle aged Tea Partier who’s going to rallies, talking about the Constitution and calling for reduced spending cares more about “the children” than 99% of the liberals out there who demand that we support one stupid program after the other “for the children.”
22) You have to be a horrible human being to be okay with terrorists like Bill Ayers teaching kids at a college.
23) Because liberals are unable to ever admit they’re wrong, they systematically ruin and destroy everything they become involved with and then either point the finger elsewhere or demand even more government involvement to fix the problems they created.
24) Detroit – and, yes, liberals did that.
25) Even “liberal Christians” are generally supportive of other liberals who attack Christianity, which is why “liberal Christians” is in quotes.
Happy New Year Mr. FTR!
|I hope George HW Bush is in control of the free world…and not that a-hole peddling his ridiculous nonsense. Conspiracy theories like his are just Science for Dummies. Debating someone like that is always a losing proposition. The conspiracy community regularly seizes on one slip of the tongue, one misunderstanding or slight discrepancy to defeat 20 pieces of solid evidence. It accepts one witness of theirs, even if he or she is a provable nut, as being far more credible than 10 legitimate witnesses on the other side; treats rumours, even questions, as the equivalent of proof; leaps from the most minuscule of discoveries to the grandest of conclusions; and insists, that the failure to explain every last thing perfectly negates everything that has been explained beyond all doubt.|
|The thought processes (or lack thereof) of some of the critics is amazing….mind boggling.Yesterday a critic proclaimed that I am a racist because I criticize our black president. He actually suggested that Obama does not have a relationship with Al Sharpton.
I have been very critical of Obama, in part, because I believe that there is much evidence to suggest that he is a racist. That is evidenced (in part) by his administrations intrusion into episodes wherein a black subject has been killed by white officers. But I can find no record of any such intrusion into the death of a black subject by a black police officer, or any record of intrusion into the death of a white subject by white officers. I suggest you think about the Charles Eimers case in Key West. Eimers was white, the officers were white. To the best of my knowledge and research the Obama admins Justice Department has no interest in the case.
Obama’s record is replete with instances of Obama’s personal interjection of race into such cases.
In any event, Eric Holder, Obama’s AG has said on many different occasions that “we are a nation of cowards” when it comes to race and dialog on the subject. This Olde Fart is talking about race.
Without exception, each and every one of my postings on racial issues has condemned racism. Racism is wrong and it is wrong headed. It’s wrong if it’s practiced by a goofy red neck or by the black President of the United States.
As to Al Sharpton. Sharpton is an uber racist and an anti-Semite who has made racism, race baiting, and race riots a career. His name has become a synonym for racism. Sharpton is an evil human.
Contrary to the critics claim, Obama and Sharpton are friends. According to Politico, Sharpton has become Obama’s “go to” person on matters of racial conflict. Sharpton not only visits the White House frequently, (at least 82 times) he often texts or emails with senior Obama officials such as Jarrett and Attorney General Eric Holder. Obama and Sharpton are friends, confidantes, they have appeared together on stage. Link
Do you find it curious that the President embraces Sharpton as a member of his inner circle, yet Sharpton owes more than $4 million in back taxes? Where is Holders Justice Department on that offense? Link
It is worse than wrong, it is a tragedy that Obama has essentially thrown blacks under the bus. They have fared far worse than whites during the Obama presidency. You’ve all seen the stats, black unemployment nearly double white, black on black crime is an epidemic, welfare and food stamp rolls are populated wildly disproportionately by blacks. And that only scratches the surface.
I personally subscribe to the Rev. Martin Luther King’s teachings that persons should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. My deep disdain for Obama is based on his lack of character, not the color of his skin.
And just for the record, I do not pay for the privilege of posting on the CT. I purchase advertising from our Deer Ed. I posted here long before I decided that I wanted to support the CT by paying for ad space. Those from the left should consider purchasing ad space as well, but they won’t, they are addicted to freebies.
Part 2) A couple of days ago a critic was woofing about my views on Obama’s unilateral decision to reestablish relations with Cuba. He/she/or it declared: “I’ll bet that FTR never left the USA? (sic) Xenophobes seldom travel outside of their countries. If he did it was probably on a cruise ship or in the Army.”
It’s amusing that the critic has declared him/her/or itself an expert on the travel habits of xenophobes. Then yesterday, the message expanded. The critic dismissed my opinions by writing: “This is from a man who’s never left the US. I rest my case.”
Need I say that the critic has not an iota of information about any international travel that I may or may not have had? But just for the record I have never been on a cruise ship, nor was I in the Army. But, I have ventured beyond our shores on many, many occasions, on personal and professional missions. And I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
It’s interesting that on one occasion I attempted to visit Cuba, but the Cuban government denied me a visa. We were in process of preparing for a resentencing hearing on a major 1st degree murder case and I learned that person living in Cuba had information germane to the case. My boss agreed that I should go to Cuba, hire an interpreter, and interview the subject.
At that time, the only way it would have been legal (for US law) for me to go, would be to receive a special license from the State Department. I applied and was issued the license. I then applied for a Cuban visa.
After securing the license, I was contacted by the FBI and they requested that I visit their Miami office for a briefing. At the meeting, the SAC and two other agents were in attendance. They repeatedly warned me that when I got to Cuba I would get white glove treatment and that all the persons I came into contact with would try to establish a bond of friendship. Not because I’m a really nice person, but because the Cuban authorities are constantly seeking new sources of intel. They warned that when I returned to the US that I would probably begin getting letters and/or emails from the Cuban contacts. They especially warned me that it was highly likely that I would make contact with at least one very attractive Cuban woman who would offer sexual favors. They advised that if I succumbed, the Cuban intel community would “own” me.
After all of that, and much nail biting, the Cuban government refused to issue a visa. No explanation was given. I briefly considered entering Cuba in violation of US and Cuban law, going in as a journalist through the Bahamas or Mexico, but decided that it would be foolhardy.
We never did interview the subject. The resentencing hearing went forward, the death penalty was again levied, and the defendant is still on death row (Omar Blanco).
I am fully convinced that the existing Cuban sanctions have been working, and that further sanctions might well topple the Communists. If anyone has an interest, I’ll be glad to explain. I am fully convinced that reestablishing relations with Cuba will benefit only the Communist party, their stranglehold on the Cuban people will only grow stronger.
Just one reason why that I am opposed to any easing of sanctions or reestablishing diplomatic relations with Cuba is that on Tuesday, after Obama’s concession, at least 3 Cuban dissidents were arrested just prior to a planned free speech demonstration that had been planned in Havana. Additionally other Cuban dissidents were arrested who had expressed opposition to the resumption of diplomatic relations with the US. They had said that the US had prematurely eased pressure on the government of Raúl Castro without securing any concessions on human rights.