1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 pound ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
Pinch ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 turns of freshly ground black pepper
4 hamburger buns
1. Sauté the green peppers, onions, celery for 5 minutes on medium high heat.
2. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove from heat. Remove vegetables from the pan to a medium sized bowl, set aside.
3. Using the same pan, crumble the ground beef into the pan. You will likely need to do this in two batches, otherwise you will crowd the pan and the beef won’t easily brown. Sprinkle with salt. Add vegetables.
4. Add ketchup, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, vinegar, sugar, spices to the ground beef and vegetables. Return the cooked ground beef and vegetables to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to break up any chunks of ground beef into smaller bits.
5. Lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
6. Serve in toasted hamburger buns.