For the Chicken
6 cloves garlic, ﬁnely chopped
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6-8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
For the Tagine
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
16 green Castelvetrano olives, pitted and smashed
1 cup chicken stock
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons chopped ﬂat-leaf parsley
- Mix garlic, saffron, ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric together with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper. Rub the chicken with mixture, cover and refrigerate to marinate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add chicken, and brown on all sides. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet, and cook over medium-low heat about 15 minutes until they begin to caramelize. Add the ground cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Put chicken on onions. Add raisins and olives. Mix stock and lemon juice and pour over chicken.
- Cover the skillet and place over low heat, and cook about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Scatter parsley on top, stir and serve.